Sold 22/11/2019 Undisclosed
Expression of Interest | Closing Thursday 7th November at 5.00pm (Unless Sold Prior)
One of Northern Victoria’s most iconic properties forever associated with the emergence of the states winemaking industry in its heyday and the largest winery in the Southern Hemisphere established by G.F. Morris, completely restored in the 1970’s by Morris’s great granddaughter Melba Slamen-Morris, this 851.5 hectares approx. multi use property comprises the 1889 Italianate Mansion “Fairfield”, together with its remarkably preserved above ground massive double brick cellars, ferment house, Bond house, steam engines originally driven from central boiler and furnace, shearing shed, blacksmiths shops and stables, Separate cottages situated on Mount Ochtertyre Road and Popes Road/Gooramadda Road.
‘Fairfield’, Commissioned by G.F. Morris (to replace the original 1860’s home which had burnt out) and designed by local architects Gordon & Gordon, the Italianate style mansion was built in 1889 using bricks quarried from the land behind the house which became a dam. Set approx. 260 meters back from the Murray Valley Highway it is a most imposing building with its lacework verandah and balcony above, orientated North South. Entrance is via the Eastern façade to an arched foyer that forms a gallery through the East West axis to a western doorway to the afternoon side of the verandah thus providing natural light all day. Off this gallery are the morning room, the central drawing room with bay windows and spectacular marble fireplace, the smoking room and opposite the billiard room. To the right of the entrance is the magnificent dining room with red marble fireplace. The huge ballroom, added in approx. 1897 for a governor’s state visit, fills in the east (maid’s rooms, bathroom and office) and west wing (kitchen with original ‘lux’ cast iron stove and separate scullery with original bakers’ oven, all with pine benches and built in original cupboards, and pantry/maids meals area next door. A fine staircase leads from the entrance foyer to a landing accessing the bedrooms of which there are a nursery (South-West facing), master bedroom (North-West facing), large guest bedroom over drawing room, SE corner bedroom, NE corner bedroom over the dining room. An upstairs bathroom and washroom lead to a secondary staircase down to the ballroom and service areas. External to the scullery is a storage shed and outside W.C. The surrounding cast-iron lacework enveloped balcony at the front of the home affords magnificent views over the property and surrounding countryside.
Should you require any further information, please contact Warwick Anderson on 0418 320 873 to receive full information memorandum.
Agents in Conjunction | Landmark Harcourts Albury | Billy Jones 0438 454 950