$1,850,000 - $2,030,000
Mount Macedon’s Original General Store and Post Office (Circa 1873)
This landmark Mount Macedon property, located on over 3 acres on the Golden Mile, has been used for many enterprises over the years. Its original purpose, as the Mount’s General Store and Post office, was built circa 1870, and its colourful history thereafter included a doctor’s consulting rooms, art gallery, patchwork & quilting shop and for the sale of collectables and antiques. Until 2012 it was the oldest commercial building still in existence at Mount Macedon and is easily recognised by the petrol bowser displaying gallons, standing proudly beneath the verandah.
The property has since undergone an extensive refurbishment and has been transformed into a magnificent home. The interior retains some of the original charm and elegance of its past including timber floors and Baltic lined walls and high ceilings, open fireplaces, and skylights. Stylish and luxury touches have been added with a gorgeous bathroom and kitchen featuring travertine tiling.
The floor plan allows for you to be creative on how you want the home to function. The rooms are generous in size with gorgeous light throughout. Seamless transition to outdoor living onto 2 separate decked areas, reveal private and beautiful views.
The land is breath-taking – from a fenced back lawn, leading through to a woodland garden, opening onto a majestic grassy paddock, bordered on the southern side with 150+ year old European trees, leading to a walking track down to the Turitable Creek and old weir on the western boundary.
In 2009 a Planning Permit was granted for a new dwelling and this option could be explored again for those wanting to create their own dream home.
The property is on town water and there is also a bore.
It is only a short walk to the Mount Macedon Village and Mount Macedon Primary school, a short drive to the Macedon Railway station and easy freeway access to Melbourne.
A very special mountain hideaway awaits those wanting to escape to the country.